The Lutheran Education Association of Houston was organized in 1949 when 12 Lutheran Churches with elementary schools recognized a need to continue Christian education through high school. A 12 member Board of Directors was elected to govern the single Lutheran High School.
The high school located at the Gulf Freeway and Woodridge grew to over 400 students and in 1980 it was decided to build a second high school on 34th street in northwest Houston. This second high school named Lutheran High North because of its location to the original campus. This campus served Lutheran churches located on the north side of Houston.
One year after the opening of Lutheran High North in 1981 the original campus was moved to South Loop 610 and named Lutheran High South. The South campus served the Lutheran congregations on the south side of Houston and in 1989 added a middle school to the existing high school program.
In 1994 it was determined that the South campus could no longer sustain itself in its present location and land was purchased at the Gulf Freeway and Dixie Farm Road. Classes were moved to that new location in 1998 with the completion of the new buildings. One year later an elementary school was added making it a complete PreK – 12th which generated another name change to Lutheran South Academy.
In 2002 the Lutheran Education Association of Houston expanded its reach by purchasing land in the Katy area in far west Houston. This land became the third campus of LEAH in 2008 with the establishment of Westlake Preparatory Lutheran Academy. Westlake is currently an elementary school through middle school with a high school to follow as it grows.